Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Movie Review: Divergent

Divergent comes out this Friday and we couldn't be happier and more excited for you to see it. We had the privilege of seeing it at two screenings and meeting Veronica herself as well Ansel Elgort, Christian Madsen (“Al”), and Ben Lloyd-Hughes (“Will”). The movie beat all of my expectations and then some.


I first read Divergent back in 2012 and I liked, I found it hard to get into at first, and I’m "that girl", if it doesn't grab me right away, I either may not finish it cause I am bored, or I finish it out of curiosity to see what the big deal is. That was my first round of reading Divergent. So when I went to see the movie for the first time, the book was so far out of my mind, that it was as if I was living it for the first time and how could I refuse, I was getting to see Theo James bring ‘Four’ to life on the big screen. Theo was my hook, I cannot tell a lie, as if you guys don’t adore him and drool over him as well. But I digress, Divergent is so more than Theo, it is an amazing story and original and unique but you all knew that already from reading the book, and if you haven’t get to it, it’s a must read, even if you go see the movie this Friday March 21.





As soon as the lights went out and the movie started the images of the book I read and came to love was completely alive and just as I imagined it on the big screen. Shailene Woodley is phenomenal. She is the perfect mixture of sweet and innocent, and shy and fierce and tough, that truly Tris. Ashley Judd playing mom, when she is one is something I have to get used to, but the chemistry between them is awesome. Sorry it doesn’t last longer. The day starts with Tris getting a haircut right before her aptitude test to decide her future. Exactly how I imagined it in the book.


Watching Tris and Caleb, played by Ansel Elgort; her brother walk to take their aptitude tests varies, but if you didn't read the book, there is nothing lost or missed. When Trist takes the test we get to see Tori for the first time, Maggie Q. Can I say amazing!? I think Maggie has to be one of the most diverse actresses I’ve seen in a long time. The movie after this point starts moving so fast. You get to see Tris and her parents react together in their home in the evening before the Choosing ceremony, you see how modest the Abnegation live, and how loving they are.


Fast forward to after Tris, picked her new faction, we all wait with baited breath as she joins her faction, maybe we get to see a glimpse of Four, but it doesn't happen as it shouldn't. The factions all leave and everyone goes running, even the modest “stiff”. Running onto a moving train is a suicide mission, but its part of her life now, she still has two choices, but this time only one is right. The time is vastly approaching the one we have all been waiting for, the we get to meet Four. No not on the train, but after, when it’s time to get into the compound. I have to say the screams and squeals both nights when Theo made his debut as Four was ear shattering, and so worth it even if it was for a brief second. He is smoldering hot, and I wish I could have frozen it and just stared at the screen for a bit longer.


Factions picked, training beginning for all and new spin for all initiates this time, no one is safe then the action picks up pretty fast, make sure you have your popcorn and sodas before going in and don’t leave, cause you don’t want to miss a second of this spine tingling movie, so much more than a teen movie or a teen book. The action and fighting are all top notch, the cast, crew, and all the effects left me in awe and mesmerized. Yes there is a love story buried under all the action and the chemistry is well hidden and playful, so it keeps you guessing just enough. There are tears, and heartache I can’t lie about that, but when it all plays out, leaves you wanting more.


Theo James and Shailene’s chemistry and watching them get to know each other on the screen and their bantering is amazing. They keep your hearts beating just a little bit more and wishing and hoping for more, but this is a PG13 movie, and just the first of the three books, maybe we can see more as they go on, who knows? {winks}


If you have never read the books, once again you don’t need to, to see this amazing star studded and amazing cast. These names, those that you may not already know yet, will be household names and have your hearts fluttering and clamoring for more. The movie leaves the only one thing on your mind for those that haven’t read the books, is wanting more and fast. You can easily pick up the next book of Veronica Roth’s best sellers after you seen the movie and love it and get into it right away.





I can’t wait to hear your reactions to this post after you have seen in theaters this Friday March 21, 2014

4 comments:

  1. cant wait to see this movie. great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I def liked the book on first read so I can't wait to see the movie (especially Theo) ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've made me much more excited about seeing the movie. i read the book last year and then just kind of forgot about it. now i'm looking forward to the weekend... and four.

    ReplyDelete