Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fanfic Rec Wednesday – Wisp

I would normally only rec completed fics because some people don’t want to read WIPs (work-in-progress) just in case the author flounces and we are left hanging, heartbroken, wondering what happens next. Also, many people won’t read WIPs because they are too impatient to wait for the next chapter in between updates.

Of course, there are many people who do read WIPs. It’s fun to be able to interact with an author during that creative process.

I want to rec my favourite WIP, Wisp by Cris (@judo_lin).  Read it here on fanfiction.net.
This is one of the very first REAL fan fiction stories I started reading. Like most of the fics I picked up in the beginning, I found out about it by lurking around twitter and cyber-eavesdropping on people’s conversations.

I feel like this rec should come with a disclaimer. It’s not for the faint of heart …or stomach. The “Bella” character (Wisp) has endured the most horrific torture one could possibly imagine. It’s absolutely gut-wrenching, but if you can get through that, you also get to enjoy the heart-warming aspects of the story.

Many people may only see all that Wisp can’t do (for example, she doesn't walk and, at first, doesn't speak at all) and how much she is hindered by the loss of her abilities and even her sense of humanity. But I actually find the story uplifting in a way. Wisp’s innate ability to love is very strong and pure. She is fierce and protective when it comes to those she cares about, namely Edward or her cat, Pet. You don’t want to mess with her. (She literally bites.)

And Edward… oh Edward. *sigh* The same quality I liked best about “Originalward” (Stephenie Meyer’s Edward) is this Edward’s most prominent feature. He is unapologetically protective. It’s incredibly sweet. I adore him.

For me, Wisp is a ‘drop everything’ fic. When the update alerts hit my inbox, I am guaranteed a good read. I was hooked as soon as I started reading it. It’s been one of my very favourites right from the beginning. It’s well-written and compelling. Check it out.

1 comment: