Monday, June 16, 2014

Radcliffe: Booze helped me cope

Daniel Radcliffe has revealed how he sought comfort in alcohol, because it helped him deal with his post-Harry Potter pressures.

The 24-year-old admitted worrying about his career after the wizard film series ended in 2011 was enough to make him turn to booze, in an interview that will air on Sky Arts later this year. He previously confessed to turning up drunk on the set of the wizarding films, after a heavy session the night before.

He told The South Bank Show's host Melvyn Bragg: "It is not a real pressure but it is a pressure of living with the thought, 'Oh, what if all these people are saying I am not going to have a career?'

"What if they are all going to be right and will be laughing and I will be consigned to a bunch of 'Where are they now?' lists?"

Daniel, who has been teetotal since 2010, added: "I would have benefited from not drinking as it was not making me as happy as I wanted it to."

The actor, who has carved out an enviable stage career since the days of wands and wizardry with roles in Equus, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying and The Cripple Of Inishmaan, said that while he appreciates the opportunities that have opened up to him thanks to his role in the Harry Potter franchise, he is glad to have moved on.

"People don't shout Harry Potter at me now, they tend to know my name, which is lovely," he said.

"But I always will credit the opportunities I get to Harry Potter. I would not be a happy person if I was bitter about those 10 years of my life."

Source: independent

No comments:

Post a Comment