Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Fanfic Rec Wednesday – The Blessing and the Curse

This week, I would like to recommend that you read The Blessing and the Curse by The Black Arrow  (@The_Black_Arrow), if you have not already done so. Read it here on fanfiction.net.

It’s an older one ~ a classic, if you will. It had been towards the top of my TBR list for a long time but since I have so many on the go, I was trying not to pick up anything else until I finished one. Yeah, well… I got bored and wasn’t in the mood for anything so I just randomly decided on TB&TC, and OMG! I am so glad I did. I pretty much read it non-stop from the time I started until the very last page with a wee break to sleep (only to have it invade my dreams).

There are certain things I look for in a fic in order for me to classify it as “one of my favourites”. The writing quality should be a given. But more importantly, I have to be able to FEEL it. Oh… I felt this one.  
At first, you’re led to think, “Aw, poor Bella!” and “Edward is such an ass!” ~ but you KNOW what’s going to be revealed. Eventually. And it is. And it’s sooooo good.

There are two major selling points of TB&TC for me. First is the UST (unresolved sexual tension). Holy sweet mother of all the things… THIS is how to write UST. It’s a slow burn almost from the very beginning and it’s carried through the entire story. And not in a way that makes you roll your eyes. Very hot.

Secondly, (and I’ve said this before,) my favourite characteristic for an Edward is that obsessive possessiveness. This guy is the embodiment of that. Combine that with his self-restraint and denial… Wow. He oozes desperation. I don’t know what it is about that that sucks me in (I could probably spend a small fortune on a good shrink to figure it out), but I eat it up. What’s great about it though, is that it’s mutual. Otherwise, it would just be creepy or pathetic if it were one-sided.

Both Edward and Bella spend years fighting against what they want, based on things left unsaid and harbouring multitudes of misunderstandings. When they finally give in completely, it’s sweet relief and palpable joy. I relish the sense of release that comes from having those conversations that let you say all the things you’ve held in for so long – being able to air out old grievances and heal festering wounds. *fist pump*

There’s also an interesting twist on the whole mind-reading thing from the original saga. TB&TC is a different kind of story but with all the elements that make it a great one. Read it for yourself and then let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. been a long time since I read this one, it killed me when I was reading it. might have to revisit. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. This is definitely going to be my next one. You know... since I'm in between fics and all. Lol Can't wait to start it.
    Thanks for the rec hun.

    ReplyDelete