Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pink makes nervous acting debut

Alecia Moore, better known as Grammy-winning singer Pink, makes her acting debut in Thanks for Sharing. But the 34-year-old isn't pursuing other roles. She isn't even in a rush to make more music.
"I don't know what I'm going to do from here," she said during a break from her Truth About Love tour to promote her first film. "I don't know if I'll do anything right away or maybe I'll just make another baby. I don't know. Maybe I did what I was supposed to do... I would have just continued to do (entertainment) forever, but now I could see myself scrubbing the floors in a preschool bathroom. I could totally see that."
Her daughter, Willow, starts preschool next year.
First, though, is the exhilaration that comes with successfully doing something new. After turning down offers to portray a "convict, runaway, the girl that beat somebody up, the girl that stops somebody from getting beat up," Moore took on the challenge of playing a character writer-director Stuart Blumberg actually based on her.
"I had this idea for this female character who was like Pink," Blumberg said. "Who was tough ... on the outside and sensitive and kind of vulnerable on the inside. Sometimes it just helps to have somebody in mind to make you hone and just have a really specific character."
He asked her to audition "because we were a little scared," but she nailed it.
Moore touched her heart when she said she was drawn to Blumberg's story of sex addicts seeking recovery because of how many friends she's personally lost to addiction.
Among an ensemble cast that includes Mark Ruffalo, Gwyneth Paltrow and Tim Robbins, she plays Dede, a tattooed hairdresser whose confessional monologue at a sex addicts' 12-step group leads to an important relationship with one of its members.
Still, just because she was playing a character she inspired doesn't mean it was easy.
"It was not a stretch, but it also wasn't me and it wasn't my story, so it was a challenge for me because I've never done anything like that before," she said. "I have a really, really shy side, and when I don't know what I'm doing necessarily, I'm not this scary, aggressive, intimidating person that people think I am. So my biggest challenge is getting out of my own way."
In music, Billboard's Woman of the Year knows exactly what she's doing: Touring through December to support her double-platinum album, The Truth About Love, which features the hit song (and video) Blow Me (One Last Kiss).
But with Thanks for Sharing, which opens this week in the US and in November here in New Zealand, "it's not mine and I don't know how to critique myself," she said. "I'm trying not to tear myself apart is basically where I'm at. I was relieved when people didn't rip me to shreds."
Moore said she drew on real emotions for her acting debut - "Like what part of this is breaking my heart? That's where I went with it." Working with her co-star Josh Gad only sweetened the experience.
"He was so funny that once I was with him I didn't really have a lot of chance to be nervous or freaked out at all because I was just trying not to laugh," she said.
Ultimately, she's happy she tried acting: "It was like my first skydive: I'm just glad I got it done. I'm glad I did it."
She'd even do it again "if the right thing comes along and I thought it would do some good in the world, then yeah. Maybe."
Pink is set to wrap her tour in Montreal on December 3. (On the Pink/Alecia Moore distinction, she said: "Pink is what people call me referring to music... Outside of that, I'm Alecia or mom.") She'll accept the Billboard honors the following week.
"To get that nod and say, 'We see you,' makes me feel really happy," she said. "For it to be at the end of my tour, at the end of an album, at the end of maybe an era for me, that that's the way I go out."
- AP
Source: stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment