Sunday, December 29, 2013

Keira Knightley: 'It's great feminism is no longer a dirty word'

Keira Knightley has suggested that feminism is no longer "a dirty word".

The actress told Harper's Bazaar that there has been a shift in people's attitudes where debates can really be had about women and equality.


However, Knightley admitted the film industry has "a really long way to go" in having more powerful women in prominent roles and productions.

She said: "I think it's great, what's happening at the moment, I think it's great that the discussions are finally being allowed to be had, as opposed to anybody mentioning feminism and everybody going, 'oh, f**king shut up'.

"Somehow, it became a dirty word. I thought it was really weird for a long time, and I think it's great we're coming out of that."

Commenting on women's position within the film industry, Knightley said: "Hollywood has a really long way to go.


"I don't think that anybody can deny that, really, and I think as much as you are getting more women playing lead roles… they're still pretty few and far between."

The actress, who will next star opposite Chris Pine in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, also revealed she has considered a role behind the camera.

She explained: "As I get older I get more interested by it.

"There is a lot of 'You do what you're told' [as an actor]. After watching it and being part of it for so long, you start going, 'I wonder if there is a journey to the other side'. I don't know if there is, but I'm interested in seeing people who have done it."

Full interview appears in the February issue of Harper's Bazaar, on sale January 2. Also available as a digital edition.

SOURCE: digitalspy

No comments:

Post a Comment